Friday 1 March 2013

Half marathon training - My half marathon training schedule


Use the fish followers code fish10 to get 10% discount on Inov-8 shoes and the rest of the range at barefootinc!

My half marathon training and half marathon training schedule for the 2013 Geelong Half marathon in April is well and truly under way. In fact, at the time of writing I am more than half way through it. Hopefully this blog will give you a few tips about how you can tackle your training. 

Here’s a look at what I have been running and what is coming up:
I'm in week 7 now

Wk
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday
 1
12km @ 155 BPM
 Rest
 Rest
10 x 100m sprints
Weights circuit 
15km LSD
Rest or as Saturday
 2
13km @ 145 BPM
 Res
 Rest
8km 1 min to 1 min Fartlek
Weights circuit 
16km Hilly

 3
13km @ 145 BPM
 Spin
 Rest
5 x 1km @ 155 BPM
Weights circuit 
17km @ 145 BPM

 4
10km @ 150 BPM
 Spin
 Rest
10km @ 145 BPM
Weights circuit 
19km Hilly

 5
11km @ 145 BPM
 Spin
 Rest
9km 2 min to 1 min Fartlek
Weights circuit 
23km @145 BPM

 6
9km @ 150 BPM
Interval Threshold
 Rest
9km 3 min to 1 min Fartlek 
 Weights circuit 
21km Hilly

 7
10 km @ 150 BPM
Interval Threshold
 Rest
9km race pace
Weights circuit 
22km@ 150 BPM

 8
11km @ 155 BPM
Interval Threshold
 Rest
10km @ 150 BPM
Weights circuit 
20km @ 150 BPM

 9
10km  @ 155 BPM
Interval Threshold
 Rest
9km 3 min to 1 min Fartlek
Weights circuit 
18km @150 BPM

 10
9km  @ 155 BPM
 Spin
 Rest
Hill 400m reps X 5
Weights circuit 
 LSD 15km

Race week
8km @ 150 BPM
 Spin
 Rest
2km, 5x 1min on/off sprints
 Rest
5km @ 130 BPM
Geelong
Half Marathon

145 BPM is about my 70% intensity rate rate zone, 155 is my 85% zone and the rough limit/accepted workload for runner during a half marathon. I would class myself as an intermediate half marathoner. 

During this period I have been avidly following the blogs and advice of Stan http://www.9run.ca/ and http://www.runningonthewhiteline.com and enjoying the differing approaches that these two runners have towards their half marathon training. I feel that I've gotten a lot of half marathon tips as well from both of their blogs.

On my last Dandy Runners run I was able to get some terrific advice from Peter, a very experienced runner who has posted a 2:15 marathon! So what’s the next phase of my marathon training schedule?

I have to say that until the last week I have been leaning towards the slow and steady longer mileage approach that Stan employs, but it’s time to start pushing the body and mind ready for race day. I say race day as I aim to finish in the top 10% of entrants in this race, not just be another runner.
My training has been based around my Heart Rate (HR) training principles – running the longer mileage days at 145 Beats Per Minute (BPM). As we have been experiencing a hot Aussie summer I’m not sure if this has been compromised as elevated temperatures will naturally give you an elevated HR to begin with. Some of my runs have felt quite slow and I have found it difficult to keep at the lower level, other mornings I have gone out and found I can really push the pace and still remain at the 145 BPM average. Perhaps it has allowed me to listen to my body and not over train. My two weekday runs have been strict 145 BPM runs and on the weekend my flat(er) long runs have stayed in this zone as well. 

My weekend runs with the Dandy Runners have been more like interval training as the terrain is often quite hilly and varied. On the hill climbs the HR hits 170-180 for the length of the climb and then I am allowed some rest as we wait the slower runners to regroup or as we descend down the hill. My average HR over these runs is often 155-160 BPM over the 2 or so hours of running. Hey, that’s almost a race pace HR. The hill training is also brilliant for strengthening my feet, ankles, legs and core as the varied terrain means you are always adjusting your stride.

I have substituted some of my interval days with Heart RateThreshold/ High Intensity Training on the Watt bike (complimented by some high anaerobic circuits) to help relieve the legs and feet but also hit the higher HR as well. For the remaining weeks I will incorporate more HRT and HIT training on the treadmill during these sessions to push my upper limits and build/reignite my leg speed before the Half Marathon. I have also been rotating the Inov-8 Road X - 233 and the Inov-8 Road X -155.

This Thursday (highlighted in the table) I ran my baseline course at what I felt was race pace. The regular 145 BPM training sessions have seen me run it in 47-48 minutes, this time I ran it in 40:30 and the average HR was 156. Just over my target km/min time of 4:10 This is the 85% range that is the ‘recommended’ rate or ‘theoretical’ rate that can be maintained for a half marathon. To be honest it felt a little challenging and supports Peters advice that I need to now up the speed and intensity of my middle distance runs (8-12km or half to 2/3s of a 20km plus run) and build them towards running at race pace to condition the body. This is also the point of view taken by Patrick and his half marathon training schedule – go harder and make faster your norm.

From here I am aiming to run the two weekday runs at 155 BPM and let my longer runs be run at 150 BPM to give me the mental conditioning I need to know that I can maintain the pace over (hopefully under) the 90 minutes I hope to complete my future half marathons in. If I can fit in some Dandenong Ranges running I will push the speed on the flatter sections and try to average the HR at 150 on the hillier parts, which will mean dropping the pace on the ups.

Update - Today's  7/3/13 10.km Thursday run was at 156 BPM and at a pace of 4:01 - Yes! Speed is back :)

How is your half marathon race training going? Have you stuck to a plan or had to modify it. It's been tough with hot weather and weekend commitments but I feel as though I've done ok. 

I guess the final part of this blog is shoe choice. The Inov-8 155s that I’ve been running in have nearly 400km on them and are starting to feel a little compressed under the forefoot area. With 5 weeks to go, how much time is enough time to trial a new pair of shoes and be comfortable with running in them at the Geelong Half Marathon? I’m looking at maintaining the 3mm drop or even going 0mm or ‘racing flats’ as I am most comfortable in my Inov-8 trailrocs which are a flat trail shoe, though I would not use them (the rocs) for a road run. I'm just not sure that I am quite ready to go racing flat on the road for 21kms. 

Would you wear out the old shoes or jump into something new?

The new Inov-8 road range is out. I'm seriously considering the Inov-8 Road Extreme 178 or the F-lite 232s (my pre-review here). Just not sure which way to go yet. 

The adventuremegastore.com.au (below) also have the new Inov-8 range, Merrell, Skora and New Balance Minimus -these in particular look, and feel really good as well. 

Happy training, I hope to one day see you at the start line!


New Arrivals

2 comments:

  1. Excellent update as usual Lachie. It's a good looking plan and I hope it works out well for you. I'm curious to know what your pace was on the 23km LSD on week 5. I'm coming off a back-to-back 110+ km week and am ready to start working on speed and power just like what you're planning to do. Even though I don;t have a time goal for my upcoming race, I am using this one to see what I need to adjust and work on for my race in Berlin in September. I'm gunning for a PB on that one.

    I hope everything works out and your half at 4:10 or better and I am glad that you're finding my blog helpful in your training.

    Cheers and I look forward to reading your race report.

    Stan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey mate, your blog is certainly useful. I'm always telling my running mates about it. The 23km on week 5 was another ridiculously warm morning and day. My 145 BPM pace is generally 4:55-5:10 min kms depending on temp and course elevation. I'm at the stage where I can keep it within 5-10 seconds difference a relativly minor incline - a long way from when I started the HR training in December.

    Wow, back to back 110+, I'm a long way off that! My ave week is about 40-45 + the interval or spin work.

    On that week 5 run however the pace started at 5:15kms (up hill) and ended at about 5:45-6:00kms. I hit a few sections where I had it down to 4:45s. The temp was nearer 30C when I got home and the later part of the run was flat or a slight incline.

    This Sats run was only 15km due (not 22km) to time constraints but I was also working on some form technique tips and instruction from a video analysis that I got from one of Inov-8 Australias running coaches (I felt so much better during and after the run). I went out at 5:15s and did the last 10km in 4:55s. I felt that on this run it was better sacrifice a few kms for an improvement in form :)

    ReplyDelete